I was pleasantly surprised to find over 26 wonderful, delicious wines to enjoy now between ¥200-400 sold online in China! Three online platforms stood out for providing the best wines and values in this price range: YesMyWine.com, Wine-World.com and East Meets West.
1. 2009 Chateau Cissac, Bordeaux, France ¥398, Wine-World.com
A delicious Haut-Medoc red that really shows how delicious the 2009 vintage is across the board. This is a terrific Bordeaux red that has the density, ripeness and focus that one would expect from a cru classé château. In 2009 however, even cru Bourgeois and basic Bordeaux reds without the high price tag made terrific wine.
2. 2012 Chateau de Fieuzal, Bordeaux, France ¥388, Wine-World.com
This Bordeaux has a very pretty nose of violets and sweet cedar. The palate is layered, gentle with a lovely interplay between ripe dark berry fruits and savory spices. Delicious, ripe red with a persistent finish. This wine is just starting to open up now.
3. 2012 Chateau Lynch-Moussas, Bordeaux, France ¥350, Wine-World.com
An impressive red Bordeaux that is showing beautifully now. The tannins are velvety and firm balanced by sweet cassis and cedar notes. This is a wonderful red that is just reaching its peak and will be delicious from now and over the next 6-8 years. Classic Pauillac, well-crafted and balanced.
4. 2014 Cono Sur La Rinconada Single Vineyard Block 28 Carmenere, Cachapoal Valley, Chile ¥346, YesMyWine.com
Lovely Carmenere with ripe tannins and savory, herbal flavors. This is a fantastic example of the high quality Carmenere that Chile has been producing for the past 5 years. No longer are the Carmeneres tannic and green, the modern renditions are voluptuous, savory, herbal and sweet. This wine has ripe, sweet tannins and a fairly long finish.
5. 2008 Campania Bodeguera Valenciso Reserva, Rioja, Spain ¥328, Easy cellar Wines & Spirit
This solid, intense Rioja is a lovely concentrated red that has the best of Old World wine’s restraint with New World wine’s polished tannins and ripeness. The palate offers a wonderful interplay of savory herbs, black fruits and spices – the tannins are very well managed with a nice finish.
6. NV Charles Du Roy Champagne Brut Premier Cru, Champagne, France ¥259, YesMyWine.com
An elegant Champagne that is linear, focused and quite detailed. The citrus, nutty flavors are well balanced by the fresh acidity and fine mousse. A delicious, balanced Champagne offering very good value.
7. 2011 Charles Du Roy Champagne Brut Millesime, Champagne, France ¥339, YesMyWine.com
This is a well-crafted, balanced Champagne with delicate, lively citrus and nutty flavors. The mousse is fine and delicate with a palate that dances on the tongue – light, airy and nuanced. Fairly long finish.
8. 2010 Chateau de Lastours Corbieres Grande Reserve, Languedoc Roussillon , France ¥248, Week Wine
A delicious blend of Syrah and other southern French varieties to produce a juicy, quite complex red with lovely flavors. The palate offers savory roasted herbs, dark berries, spices and ripe figs along with supple, firm tannins. Fairly long finish. A wine that offers very good value for money.
9. 2012 Chateau Desmirail, Bordeaux, France ¥355, Wine-World.com
A fresh, lively Margaux red with wonderful persistence and youthful vigor. While the tannins are soft and ripe, the flavors are still quite youthful and can further evolve over time. This wine is just reaching its peak now but it should be even better in 2-3 years time.
10. 2012 Chateau du Tertre, Bordeaux, France ¥328, Wine-World.com
A very pretty Margaux red with jasmine and violet notes along with cedar and blackberries. Subtle, balanced and ready to enjoy now – a delicious wine that is just opening up and should keep well for a decade.
11. 2014 Domaine Vico Vin de Corse Clos Venturi 1769 Rouge, Corsica, France ¥220, Shanghai Prolevin Wines
This savory, mediium bodied red is subtle, layered and filled with roasted herbs, dark berry fruit and sweet spices. A full-bodied, generous red without being over-ripe or punchy with an under-stated restraint in its personality. Earthy, fairly long finish. A great value wine!
12. 2007 Marianne Estate Floreal, Paarl, South Africa ¥380, Shanghai Prolevin Wines
Full bodied, generous Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend from Paarl, South Africa, that has a meaty, savory character. The dark fruit flavors are sweet with a dried prune note, but the palate has plenty of savory, gamey notes to balance out the ripe flavors. A powerful red wine that is at its peak right now at 10 years of age.
13. 2016 Pikes Traditionale Riesling, Clare Valley, Australia ¥267, East Meets West Fine Wines
This is an attractive, lovely Riesling from Clare Valley with gentle, delicate flavors. The palate is lifted, fresh and filled with lime and jasmine flowers balanced by a sharp, linear citrusy palate. Elegant, intense and lively – a wonderful combination. This is a wine that will age/evolve beautifully with time; it will continue to improve for at least 10 years in bottle.
14. 2014 Silver Heights Family Reserve, Ningxia, China ¥308, Ever Wines
A well made, delicious Cabernet blend from Ningxia. This wine has balance, ripe cassis and blackberry flavors complemented by firm, supple tannins. Medium bodied red with beautifully composed flavors that has lovely purity and elegance.
15. 2012 Warwick Estate Three Cape Ladies Cape Blend, Stellenbosch, South Africa ¥300, East Meets West Fine Wines
A full bodied, tannic red that has meaty, smokey flavors along with dark berries and herbs. Well crafted, quite powerful Pinotage-Cabernet Sauvignon blend with the density of both varieties coming through in a harmonious symphony. Long, lingering finish.
16. 2012 Chateau Kirwan, Bordeaux, France ¥398, Wine-World.com
Ripe, modern Margaux with full body and rounded, sumptuous tannins. The palate is quite dense and more like a St Julien than a Margaux. The wine is still youthful and tight and should be better in 2-4 years time.
17. 2012 Domaine Vico Vin de Corse Clos Venturi Rouge, 89 Corsica, France ¥280, Shanghai Prolevin Wines
This subtle, earthy red has a restrained aroma of fresh earth, dark plums and tobacco. It is full bodied with a firm grippy finish without any astringency or aggressiveness. Love the restraint and nuances in this wine!
18. 2011 Fontodi Chianti Classico DOCG, Tuscany, Italy ¥230, Wine-World.com
A delicious Tuscan red with layered flavors of black tea, tobacco and black plums. The tannins are firm but ripe with a rounded, supple texture. This balanced, intense red has a long life ahead – enjoyable now and over the coming ten years.
19. 2014 Pikes Shiraz, Clare Valley, Australia ¥300, East Meets West Fine Wines
A ripe, balanced Shiraz with lifted black pepper and blackberry fruit. The cooler climate spiciness comes through in this Shiraz, which is refreshing and lively. It doesn’t have the density and power of warmer climate Shiraz but it has the nuances, detail and freshness that offers greater drinking pleasure.
20. 2010 Agostina Pieri Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, Tuscany, Italy ¥336, Wine-World.com
An elegant Brunello with sweet evolved flavors of dried cherries and herbs with ripe, firm tannins. Ripe, firm tannins support the layers of flavors on the palate which are not that complex, but is wonderfully balanced. This is a lovely wine to enjoy now, at its peak with harmony and nuanced savory flavors.
21. 2008 Beronia Gran Reserva, Rioja, Spain ¥328, YesMyWine.com
Lively, fruity Rioja with ripe strawberries interlaced with sweet coconut chips. This is a delicious red that offers a great example of what the Tempranillo grape can offer and how well these wines can age – at 9 years of age, the wine is still vibrant and youthful, perfect to enjoy now.
22. NV Charles Du Roy Champagne Brut Tradition, Champagne, France ¥299, YesMyWine.com
This full bodied, biscuity champagne has a lively, toasty mid palate and a nutty finish. The flavors are upfront and quite forward rather than gentle or subtle; this is a generous style that is wonderful with food.
23. 2012 Chateau Tour de Castres, Bordeaux, France ¥258, Week Wine
An excellent Bordeaux red that is really a fabulous example of its region and also a good example of this vintage (2012), which was not considered very successful. Layers of cedar, tobacco, red cassis and red Chinese dates can be found on the palate. Wonderfully balanced wine at its peak.
24. 2013 Cono Sur ‘La Palma’ Single Vineyard Block 25 Syrah, San Antonio Valley, Chile ¥298, YesMyWine.com
A delicious Syrah that has balance, spicy complex fruit without any heaviness. A medium bodied Syrah with subtle flavors that is ready to enjoy now. This is not a complex, powerful wine but it is filled with delicious flavors that are attractive and expressive right now.
25. 2015 Penfolds Max’s Shiraz Cabernet, Southern Australia, Australia ¥398, Easycellar Wines & Spirit
A delicious, ripe Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon blend that is well made and intense. The palate is youthful, vigorous and sweet with velvety tannins and layers of sweet cocoa, licorice and blackberry jam. Best to enjoy young.
26. 2013 Torres Celeste Crianza, Castilla y Leon, Spain ¥299, Ever Wines
A delicious, elegant Ribera with subtle black tea leaf and black plum flavors. There is subtlety and finesse in this gentle red that has a wonderful seamless character. Delicious now but should age/evolve well over the coming 5 years.